Inspired Beef Carpaccio Recipe
Inspired Beef Carpaccio
Recipe credits: Anna Olson and Asian Food Channel.
8 appetizer servings : Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes
- 350g beef tenderloin
- 30g thinly sliced red onion rings (about 3 slices)
- 125g bean sprouts
- 20g total chopped fresh coriander, Thai basil & mint
- 35g chopped roasted peanuts
- Sriracha, to taste
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
- For Hoisin:
- 60ml soy sauce (low sodium)
- 30g smooth peanut butter
- 30ml honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5ml sesame oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 black peppercorns
1. For the hoisin, place all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally. Simmer for about 5 minutes, then strain out the spices and cool to room temperature before chilling until ready to serve. The sauce will not be as thick as commercial hoisin.
2. For the beef, slice the raw tenderloin across the grain into 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) slices. Place a slice into a re-sealable bag and using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound it as thin as possible without tearing the meat. Repeat with the remaining slices and arrange them on a large platter or individual small plates. Cover the platter or plates with plastic and chill until ready to serve. This should be done the same day you wish to serve the dish.
3. Have all of the remaining ingredients on hand, to assemble right before serving. Sprinkle the onion slices overtop the beef and sprinkle the bean sprouts over in an even layer. Top this with the chopped fresh herbs and the chopped peanuts. Drizzle the hoisin over this and add sriracha to taste. Arrange the lime wedges on the side of the platter or plate and serve immediately.
Read HERE to read more about Anna Olson on Inspired with Anna Olson Asian Food Channel.