Shrimp and Coconut Risotto Recipe with Pickled Jalapeno PeppersShrimp and Coconut Risotto Recipe
4 servings | Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 80g diced cooking onion
- 225g Arborio rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6g finely grated fresh ginger
- 625ml shrimp or chicken stock
- 250ml coconut milk
- 180g diced red bell pepper (about 1 medium pepper)
- 400g fully peeled shrimp
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 45g chopped fresh coriander
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 100g fresh spinach leaves
- Chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
- Sambal or Pickled Jalapeno Peppers, for garnish
1. Heat a medium sized heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat with the oil. Add the onion and sauté, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir this for 2 minutes, to coat the rice. Stir in the garlic and ginger and then add 250 mL (1 cup) of the stock, reducing the heat to medium-low and stirring with a wooden spoon until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add another 250 mL (1 cup) of stock and stir regularly (you don’t have to stir constantly now) until this is almost absorbed. Add the coconut milk and cook this in stirring regularly.
2. After the coconut milk is half absorbed, check the rice for tenderness (it will still be a little crunchy, but starting to soften). Add the red pepper and shrimp and cook until the coconut milk is absorbed, but the mixture is still creamy. If the rice is still not cooked through, add the remaining 125 mL (1/2 cup) of stock and cook in while stirring. Season to taste and stir in the green onions and coriander. When ready to serve, stir in the spinach leaves, to wilt them slightly.
3. To serve, spoon the risotto into bowls and top with the peanuts, Sambal and/or Pickled Jalapeno Peppers.
Pickled Jalapeno Peppers
1 liter of pickles | Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes
- 12 fresh jalapeno or other fresh chili peppers, stemmed and sliced (leave seeds in)
- 250ml white vinegar
- 250ml water
- 100g granulated sugar
- 10g salt
- 60g sliced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2g coriander seed
1. Place the sliced jalapenos into a mason jar or a bowl.
2. In a small saucepan bring the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, onion, garlic and coriander seeds up to a boil over high heat. Pour this over the peppers and let them cool to room temperature.
3. Cover and chill until ready to use. These can be enjoyed right away or they will keep for 3 months refrigerated.
Vegetarian option: Based on proportions of the original risotto recipe, except add more mixed fresh vegetables and use a vegetable stock in place of the shrimp and chicken/shrimp stock.
Recipe credits: Anna Olson and Asian Food Channel
Read HERE to read more about Anna Olson.