Things to Look for in a Grill
GOOD GRILL BRINGS GOOD TIMES
Nothing is better than enjoying good food together with friends and family. The Barbeque culture brings people together to spend quality time as friends and family – great conversations while they cook together in a casual relaxed setting. No one takes grilling more seriously than Weber and this philosophy has been reflected in the quality, support and technology that accompany every grill. So we talked to Jeff Hamer for some tips on how to get that good grill going.
THINGS TO LOOK FOR IN A GOOD GRILL:
- Always take your steak out of the fridge early and allow it to reach room temperature;
- Oil and season the steak and NOT the grill – season to your liking with olive oil, sea salt and course ground pepper – gently massaging the salt and pepper into your steak;
- Preheat your Weber grill with the hood down for at least 10 minutes – in most instances the temperature will have reached at least 250 degrees;
- The diamond shaped char marks are only achievable if the steak is quite thick; 3-4 cm thickness. Place your steak on the grill on an angle – in the 10 o’clock position – and pat or push down on the steak with the tongs to ensure maximum contact of the teak with the grill, then leave it to grill with the hood down for 90 seconds. At this point lift the steak from the grill and rotate to 2 o’clock for a further 90 seconds. At the end of this lift the steak from the grill and turn it over, place the steak back into the 10 o’clock position for another 90 seconds. Finally turn the steak to the 2 o’clock position for a final 90 seconds. At this point the steak – depending on thickness may need to be cooked for an additional 10-15 minutes in the indirect position on the grill before resting and then eating.
- For medium rare steak – place steak on a 10 o’clock position for 90 seconds, then 2 o’clock for 90 seconds. Turn steak over and place at a 10 o’clock position for 90 seconds, 2 o’clock position for 90 seconds. Move steak to indirect position on grill to finish cooking to medium rare. If the steak is not this thick (say 2cm thick), leave it in the one position for 3.5 minutes and then just turn it over for an additional 3 to 3.5 minutes and a beautifully cooked medium/rare steak will be achieved;
- Always keep the hood down when cooking a steak on your Weber – maintains maximum heat and helps to create convection in the Weber so the juices are locked into your steak;
- Chefs recommend resting the steak after cooking it – the estimated time is 50% of the time it took to cook.
Weber Grills & Accessories are available from these stores:
- Weber Original Store & Grill Academy – 463 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore 427675. Tel: 6348 8313
- Weber Experience Centre @ BQ Mart (Bukit Timah Outlet) – 733 Bukit Timah Road, #02-03 Second Ave Junction, Singapore 269748. Tel: 6463 8289
- Weber Experience Centre @ BQ Mart (Kallang Leisure Park Outlet) – Leisure Park Kallang, 5 Stadium Walk, #02-24/25/26, Singapore 397693. Tel: 6348 6798