HAZE : PROTECTION AND BEAUTY HEALTH TIPS YOU NEED TO KNOW
Did you know that the air-borne pollutants and fine particles (including PM2.5) are measuring thirty times smaller than the width of a human hair!? These such fine particles lead to buildup of toxins and the generation of free radicals within the skin. It goes without question as to why is our skin is feeling the tightness, itchy and drying results of this hazy city recently.
If the haze is taking its toll on your skin and you need haze protection to nourish and beautify then you will like this as we have put together some of our favourites that we know will make you feel refreshed, protected, energised as well as rid your beautiful body of this hazy city right now.
Haze : Stay Safe
- To check the daily air quality you might want to check out this site HERE which gives you the Real-Time Air Quality Index (updated on the hour) where you can see the PSI (Pollutant Standard Index) but more importantly the PM2.5 which measures the ‘fine particles’.
- Understanding the numbers and levels of the air quality index can be difficult. Here is a scale you can refer to along with the colour which this level is usually indicated in:-
- 0 – 50 Good (Green)
- 51 – 100 Moderate (Yellow)
- 101 – 150 Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups (Orange)
- 151 – 200 Unhealthy for all Groups (Red)
- 201 – 300 Very Unhealthy (Purple)
- 301 – 500 Hazardous (Maroon)
- Do remember that babies and children are the most at risk (Sensitive Groups) along with elderly and those with breathing problems (such as asthma) so extra precautions need to be taken during the haze periods.
- Open wounds need to be kept covered as the air-borne particles can increase the risks of infection (we like 3M Nexcare™ Hydrocolloid bandages and dressings). Should a wound not be healing as normal, signs of redness around the wound or unusual oozing, then do consult with a doctor immediately.
Invest in an air purifier for your home. PHILLIPS have a range of purifiers to suite every home, room size and need. CADO will also be bringing its range of air purifiers to Singapore by the end of 2015. CADO are the world’s first ever purifiers that allows detection of M2 particles in the air. This Japanese brand of air purifiers was recently awarded the ‘highest clean air delivery’ rating and give better air quality in enclosed spaces including cars and homes. For more information about Cado, please click HERE.
Eyes Need Extra Care
Eyes need extra care and attention during the haze periods. Here are 5 ways to maintain healthy and beautiful eyes during the haze:-
- Blink, Blink, Blink – Blinking regulates tears and cleanses the surface of the eye, that’s why we tend to blink our eyes more when we find it uncomfortable or dry.
- Hydrate – Stay hydrated this dry season As your body consists of 70% water, it is important to maintain hydration for excellent physical and mental performance. If you’re feeling thirsty, time to drink up!
- Comfort in the Wind – Maintain healthy, fresh eyes even while battling the dust in the wind. Biotrue ONEday disposable contact lenses retain 98% moisture providing maximum comfort and convenience all day.
- Eye Cleansing – Keep dust particles and irritants out of your eyes by using eye drops and eyewash regularly. Bring the sparkle back into your eyes and wash out the dust.
- Help is at Hand – If your eyes are particularly itchy and, after trying the above precautions, you see no improvement in 2 to 3 days then we strongly advise you contact your eye care professional for a consultation immediately.
Thank you to biotrue for this eye care information.
Protect Skin from City Haze
Prevention is better than cure so skin protection from the haze is important. Although moisturising products can help with the dryness and tightness felt, a good defence from the haze is what we need right now. We recommend is a good protective shield from the city haze as well as a refreshing facial spray which we can use before and after stepping outdoors.
We are very excited by Lancaster Skin Therapy Day Shield; its Ingredients include Ginko Biloba Leaf Extract, known for its antioxidant properties and being pollution resistant, together with seven additional antioxidants which form a barrier to neutralise up to 99% of free radicals.
The lightweight, non-greasy texture not only protects skin from city haze but is also available in a choice of SPF30/PA+++ OR SPF50/PA+++. Lancaster Skin Therapy Day Shield UV-Pollution SPF30/PA+++ is priced at S$67 for 30ml and is available at Sephora ION, Tampines 1 and VivoCity.
Revitalise and Energise
The haze in the air is certain to see our energy levels dip; even the most healthy of us are unable to breath in as much oxygen as we would normally, thus seeing our energy decrease. We must drink lots of water and keep our body hydrated, try coconut water which is packed with rehydration benefits and tastes great too.
Should you need an extra boost of energy then try the Force G series of energising boosters. Force G Power Max fights temporary fatigue when you need it most and is perfect for an on-the-go energy boost. Force G Power Max is priced at $29.90 (10 doses) and is available at Guardian stores. Promotion right now; receive Force G Original with any Force G purchase.
A spritz of fragrance revitalise and energise us and give us the perk-up we need to get us through the day. Our favourite is the Zesty Citron, Honey & Coriander Body Mist by Crabtree & Evelyn.
This fragrance will lightly scent your body with notes of lemon, sweet honey, juniper and cypress while finishing with a peppery bit of coriander seed. Not for facial use.
TIP – Keep this in the refrigerator and use cold for the ultimate refreshing treat.
Body Mists are 100ml and available also in Fruity Pomegranate, Argan & Grapeseed fragrances. Priced at S$30 and found at all Crabtree & Evelyn stores.
Wash Away the Haze of the Day
After a long day our body is covered in the tiny particles (invisible to the human eye) which the haze brings along with it. If, like us you are conscious of the damaging properties (to earth and health) often found in bath and body products, then you will be pleased with this snippet of information. For clean Biodegradable formulas (free of paragons, phthalates, triclosan, EDTA or animal by-products) that will certainly wash away the haze of the day, we like Method body wash Desert Lily fragrance which is a refreshing floral oasis!
Method Limited Edition Americana Collection are not only vibrant in design but are pocket friendly too. Method Body Wash 532ml is priced at S$9.95, Method Foaming Hand Wash 300ml is priced at S$6.95 and Gel Hand Wash 354ml is priced at $5.95. These are available (for a limited time) at Cold Storage, Isetan and Meidi-Ya.
Also available in foaming hand wash and gel hand wash, with each product available in three fragrances and fragranced by essential oils); Coastal Redwood, Southern Peach and Desert Lily for a refreshing floral oasis, these Method products are super environmentally friendly being packaged in recycled bottles made with 100% recycled plastic (PCR)