Doe, a deer, a female deer
Ray, a drop of golden sun
Me, a name I call myself
The Sound of Music tells the true story of Maria Rainer, the fun-loving governess who changed the lives of the widowed Captain Von Trapp and his seven children by reintroducing them to music. She came to the family to tutor the children who were all home schooled and educated them through music and touched their hearts with her sincerity.
The Sound of Music reaches out to all ages with unforgettable songs which will be performed on the musical theatre stage at Mastercard Theatres, Marina Bay Sands Singapore. These songs include Do-Re-Mi, Edelweiss, Climb Ev’ry Mountain, My Favourite Things, Sixteen going on Seventeen and the title song The Sound of Music.
The original 1959 Broadway production of The Sound of Music won six Tony awards, including Best Musical, and was Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammeretein’s biggest success. The 1965 movie starring Julie Andrews as Maria won five Oscars, including Best Picture. The original London production was produced by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and Carrie Underwood was Maria in the American production.
The Sound of Music Singapore production was produced by David Ian Production, Base Entertainement and Lunchbox Productions. Six out of the seven Von Trapp children will be played by eighteen of our Singapore’s most promising young actors and actresses. The Singapore cast includes:
- Jaime Chew who plays Gret Von Trapp. Jamie is passionate about dancing and start learning ballet at 6 and plays the piano and cello;
- Abbie Machin who plays Louisa Von Trapp. Abbie started dancing and acting at 7 and has even choreographed her own performance last year;
- Felicity Bertram stars as Brigitta Von Trapp. Felicity is 11 years old and enjoys Musical Theatre classes at Centre Stage and loves all sports. She has also performed as Cinderella in her school’s Avondale Grammar production of Cinderella Rockerfella, Peter Pan in the Centre Stage production of Peter Pan and Oliver Warbucks in the Centre Stage production of Annie;
- Joshua Goh plays Kurt Von Trapp. Joshua has performed in Singapore America School school variety show for 3 consecutive years. He also joined the volunteer kids’ chorale to raise funds for typhoon Haiyan victims last December.
The international cast includes:
- Bethany Dickson as Maria Rainer. Bethany has been in numerous productions in Johannesburg, Cape Town. She dedicates her performance to her beloved Dee & Pa;
- Andre Schwartz as Captain Von Trapp. Andre studied Law at the University of Stellenbosch, he later on developed his singing career after winning a bursary to study singing at Mozarteum in Slazburg. He has recorded 14 solo albums of which EkWilWeer has reached number 1 on most radio stations;
- Taryn Sudding as Baroness Schraeder. Taryn has performed in numerous television show and has been a voice artist for many tv commercials like Coca Cola, PEpsi Virgin Atlantic and many more.
Seeing my childhood movie The Sound of Music being played out in theatre stage brings back fond memories of my childhood. The Sound of Music is a musical not to be missed especially for those who watched it when they were young. Reliving the childhood moments.
DETAILS: Duration: 11 July – 10 August 2014 Performance times: * Tuesday - Friday 8:00pm * Saturday 2pm and 8pm * Sunday 12pm and 6pm Ticket Price: starting at $65 (excludes booking fee of $3 per ticket) For internet booking, please visit BASEentertainmentasia.com or sistic.com.sg. For phone booking, please ca;; +65 6688 8826. Tickets can be purchased in person at Marina Bay Sands Box Offices- Museum, Theatres, SkyPark, Retail Mall and Hotel Tower 1 Lobby. For corporate and group bookings, please email [email protected] or call +65 6688 1029.