I’ve never been a huge fan of zinc oxide based nappy rash creams. Something about that thick, sticky waxiness that gets stuck underneath my nails and lingering mild fishy smell makes me dread having to use it when Bubba gets a rash.
So, when Kat passed me a tube of Bepanthen Nappy Rash cream to try…I was intrigued. Here is a cream that claims the following:
- A natural base ingredient called Dexpanthenol (aka pro vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid) instead of zinc oxide.
- Zero preservatives, parabens, fragrances, colourants or unnecessary antiseptics, which means no clinical smell.
- A transparent, light and breathable consistency.
- Dual functionality- due to the natural active ingredient Dexpanthenol, it can also double up as a soothing cream for sore cracked nipples from breastfeeding.
Does it deliver? In a word, YES!!!
I’m already loving the fact that this stuff is natural and is paraben-free and no nasties- great start. The ointment comes out looking white, but as you gently rub it in, it becomes transparent. True to its word, it is much lighter than any zinc oxide based cream I’ve ever tried, it glides on smoothly and a little goes a long way.
As for the scent, I have to admit that I didn’t notice any when I applied it to my little one’s bum. Putting a little on my wrist afterwards, there was faint lanolin-like scent that is oh-so-much-better than fish.
Applied before bedtime, the rash had left the building come morning. Zilch! Nada! My little one’s bum was back to its usual healthy self and there was no sign of cream residue (as you can sometimes get with the zinc oxide).
I never thought I’d say this of any Nappy Rash Cream, but I am a big fan…this cream is going straight into my nappy bag!
- GIVEAWAY: Bepanthen Nappy Rash Cream!!! (bubbamama.com)