It’s been a jam-packed day and you’re finally in bed, only to find that you can’t sleep. No amount of tossing and turning will make your mind switch off and it’s half past ridiculous o’clock when you finally zone out, only to be woken again by a new day. Insomnia. It sucks!!!
Not only is not being able to sleep aggravating, it also takes a serious toll on your health. Lack of sleep has been linked to weight gain, depression, higher levels of irritability and stress, as well as lesser-known symptoms such as impaired moral judgment, hallucinations and a higher risk of Type 2 diabetes.
Adults should be aiming to get at least 7 – 9 hours of good sleep per night. Here is some advice and natural remedies to make sure you kick insomnia to the curb and get your full forty winks:
– If you’re up past your bedtime, staring into that bright screen of your phone or laptop isn’t going to help! Rather, pick up a good book and calm those brainwaves.
– Cut down on your alcohol and caffeine consumption. I was surprised at this one; doesn’t alcohol help you switch off? Apparently though it may have an initial sedative effect, once you wake up, it’s much harder to get back to sleep.
– Make yourself a bedtime ritual. You mummies out there will know what this means. Have your dinner, take a bath, read your book and dim those lights… once your body knows the drill it’ll automatically get into sleep mode when you want it to.
– Have a glass of warm milk. Milk contains a substance called trytophan that sets off a chain of reactions eventually creating seratonin in your body. Seratonin is a chemical that aids your body in chilling out and drifting off into sleep.
– If you’ve tried the above, you can take a natural supplement like Ezee Sleep, which contains a patented combination of all-natural sleep inducing ingredients (like L-trytophan, GABA, melatonin and dogbane). Ezee Sleep is sugar-free, flavoured with real passion fruit and comes in a medical-grade glass bottle. The recommended dosage is between half a bottle to a full bottle, before heading to bed. *** Please note that this should not be taken if you are breastfeeding or pregnant ***
Bring on the BEAUTY SLEEP!!!
Ezee Sleep available at most 7-Eleven outlets across Singapore.