Traditionally celebrated on the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar,
Mid-Autumn Festival is a time families and friends get together to enjoy mooncake, tea, the beautiful sighting of a full moon re-telling the stories of the Moon Goddess Chang Er. Mooncake flavour gets more interesting each year and here’s some mooncakes we’ve tried.
Conrad Centennial Singapore
Golden Peony Snowskin Treasures (S$64): tantalising snowskin mooncakes presented in an elegant luxurious treasure box.
Flavours: Cranberry Cheese, Champagne and Strawberry (contains alcohol), Green Tea with White Chocolate, Rum and Raisin (contains alcohol).
Golden Peony Traditional Baked Delights (S$69.50): selection of 2 pieces Single and Double Yolk mooncake each.
Golden Peony Traditional Baked Treasures (S$69.50): combination of each Traditional Baked Mooncake flavour.
Flavours: Traditional Baked with White Lotus Paste, Traditional Baked with Mixed Nuts, Traditional Baked with Single Yolk in White Lotus Paste, Traditional Baked with Double Yolk in White Lotus Paste.
We recommend the Cranberry Cheese snowskin mooncake for its refreshing dried cranberry embedded in the velvety cream cheese filling.
- The Terrace, Conrad Centennial Singapore: 1 August to 15 September, 10:00am to 8:00pm
- Ngee Ann City, B2 Takashimaya Square: 13 August to 15 September, 10:00am to 8:00pm
- Millennia Walk, North Galleria: 13 August to 15 September, 11:00am to 8:00pm
- VivoCity, Central Court, Level 1: 16 August to 15 September, 11:00am to 8:00pm
- Nex Shopping Mall, Atrium Level: 29 August to 15 September, 10:30am to 10:00pm
- Early Bird: 1 – 15 August, 15% discount for 10 – 50 boxes | 20% discount for 51 – 200 boxes | 25% discount for 201 boxes and above.
- Citibank and UOB credit cardmembers at The Terrace: 20% discount (1 – 15 August) | 15% discount (16 August – 15 September)
Hard Rock Cafe
Hard Rock launches its first-ever mooncake gift set this year in celebration of the Mid-Autumn festival in two classic mooncake favours – Baked White Lotus with Macadamia Nuts and Baked Double Yolks White Lotus. Each Hard Rock Cafe Mooncake Set comes with a limited-edition Hard Rock pin, inspired by the beautiful story of Chang Er and is available at Rock Shop locations in Singapore, Sentosa and the Changi Airport,
GREAT GIFTS FOR FRIENDS OVERSEAS
- Hard Rock Sentosa, #01-209 Resorts World Sentosa, 26 Sentosa Gateway, Singapore 098269 | Tel: 6795 7454 | 12 August to 15 September, 11am to 1am.
- Hard Rock Cafe Singapore Airport, Changi Airport Singapore Departure / Transit Lounge North Terminal 3, Unit L2AF10 | Tel: 6241 6267 | 12 August to 15 September, 6am to 1am.
DA Paolo Gastronomia
Da Paolo Gastronomia’s miniature mooncakes – Handmade Miniature Mooncake with Salted Egg Yolk Custard – is a modern take on this customary chinese sweet delicacy and has a thin and white outer skin and a light salted egg custard filling. The delicate skin is hand made with rice flour and finished with an auspicious “Shou”, the longevity symbol. Da Paolo’s signature filling is hand cooked with fresh eggs, fresh milk and sugar. The salted egg yolks are folded into the filling to mirror the imperial yellow hue of a full moon on the Mid Autumn Festival night. Complement this experience with a cup of fragrant Green Jasmine Tea (available at Gastronomia).
These 8 delightful mini mooncakes are packed in a vibrant, goldspeckled orange box finished with a gold stamp.
Available for order from 25 July 2016 to 15 September 2016 at S$58 nett per box of 8, collection from 20 August 2016. Exclusively at Gastronomia outlets.
Available at Da Paolo Group:
- 290 Orchard Road #B1K8 Paragon, Singapore 238859 | Tel: 6738 1462 | 8:00am – 10:00pm Daily
- 501 Bukit Timah Road, Cluny Court #0101, Singapore 259760| Tel: 6468 7010 | 7:30am - 10:00pm Daily
- The Sail #0115, 6 Marina Boulevard, Singapore 018986 | Tel: 6224 4148 | 7:30 am - 10:00 pm Daily
- Raffles Place, 6 Battery Road #K101, Singapore 049909 | Tel: 6535 4339 | 7:30 am to 7:00 pm, Monday to Friday
- Holland Village, 43 Jalan Merah Saga #0174, Singapore 278115 | Tel: 6475 1323 | 8:30 am - 9:30 pm Daily
For more information, please visit dapaolo.com.sg.
Jiang-Nan Chun, Four Seasons Hotel
Handcrafted by Four Seasons Hotel’s skilled chefs with premium wellness ingredients, this year’s mooncakes comes in an elegant packaging featuring Jiang-nan Chun restaurant’s signature bird motif.
The chefs-d’oeuvre of this year’s selection include the limited edition “Heaven On Earth” snow skin mooncake, a show-stopping creation. Reminiscent of the beauty of Jiang Nan, it is an exquisite gem in Jiang-Nan Chun’s signature cerulean blue with dainty bird motifs, and infused with Jiang-nan Chun restaurant’s exclusive “Heaven on Earth” cocktail in a light 1% alcohol content.
- Smoked Duck With Assorted Nuts and Lime mooncake: Roasted in a a wood-fired oven, and the tantalizingly savoury blend of aromatic smoked duck enhanced by crunchy nuts and a zest of lime is a feast for the senses.
- Classic all time favourite Silver Lotus Paste with Double Yolks and Melon Seeds mooncake (also available in the non-yolk version): made using premium silver lotus of the highest quality. As the lotus is young and fresh, less oil is used in the creation of the paste, making it a healthier option for all ages. Traditional flavour lovers will love this for its smooth lotus paste texture and the crunchiness of nuts sealed in a soft thin baked skin.
- “Black Sesame and Silver Lotus Paste with Walnut mooncake: features black sesame – a great source of iron, magnesium and antioxidants that boast a wide range of anti-aging and health benefits.
- Jin Xuan Tea, Walnuts, Red Dates Boxthorn Paste mooncake: perfect balance of the natural sweetness of boxthorn and red date, a popular health fruit packed with vitamin C and iron. The added crunch of walnuts alongside the chewiness of red dates and silky paste create a refreshing dimension of textures with every bite.
- The Almond Wheat Germ Lotus Paste mooncake: healthier indulgences while retaining the traditional flavour of mooncakes, enhanced with a crunch of diced fragrant almonds. A popular ingredient due to its high fibre and healthy fat content, wheat germ serves as a good energy and health booster.
- Scotch Butter Paste mooncake: savoury filled with butterscotch paste – its delicate blend of sweet and saltiness a counterbalance to the roasted aroma from the baked skin.
The mooncakes are beautifully packaged in a vertical box, reminiscent of traditional Chinese drawers and are available from now till 15 September 2016, please contact Jiang-Nan Chun +(65) 6831 7220 or email [email protected] for orders.
Prices are inclusive of 7% GST.