Confinement Edition: Chicken Wine Soup Recipe
Confinement soups are tasty, nutritious, and can be easy to make. Mothers who have recently given birth are recommended a high intake of soups, broths, and tonics for a faster recuperation. To follow up on the Papaya and Fish Soup recipe shared previously, we will be sharing with you how to make a scrumptious chicken wine soup in 4 simple steps!
Here’s a little history on Chicken Wine Soup: The Chicken Wine Soup is traditionally made by the Cantonese and consumed by the mother on the 12th day after her delivery. New mothers are strongly encouraged to drink the Chicken Wine Soup to promote blood circulation and invigorate major organs of the body.
Number of servings: 3-4 person
- 200g chicken parts; remove skin and fats for a healthier alternative
- 10g Wood Fungus “Mok Yee”; soaked and shredded
- 50g of raw peanuts; optional to soak and drain overnight
- 4 pieces Red Dates
- 1 cup Chinese Rice Wine
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 slices old ginger; shredded or sliced to personal preference
Ingredients needed to prepare the Chinese Wine Soup are not hard to find. Chinese Rice Wine and Wood Fungus are readily available at most supermarkets or traditional Chinese herb stores.
- What’s New at the Supermarket in June | BubbaMama.com
- What’s New at the Supermarket in May | BubbaMama.com
- Marinate the chicken with sugar, soy sauce, and olive oil; leave to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Heat sesame seed oil over medium heat. Fry ginger and garlic until fragrant and golden brown.
- Add Wood Fungus, peanuts, Red Dates, and chicken. Stir fry well for 2 minutes.
- Finally, pour in the Chinese Wine and 2 cups of hot water. Bring to a slow boil and cook till chicken is well-cooked and tender. Voila!
If you are not averse to drinking too much wine, you can try preparing the Black Chicken Wine Tonic which we will be sharing with you in the next article. Keep track of our Confinement Edition by subscribing to our Facebook page and email newsletters.