I assure you, once you have tried to make these delicious scones on your own, you will never buy store ones! They are so easy and quick to assemble with just 4 main ingredients and a jam of your choice or fruits.
If you’re not watching your waistline you can slather on some butter and it will taste so divine.YUM!
The trick to making crumbly soft scones is to work quick and prevent the butter from melting too much into the flour. It is important that you see bits of butter when you are mixing it into the flour. Also, you should use cold milk and cold butter. The colder the better. I usually keep a frozen slat of butter in my freezer for baking purposes.
2 1/2 cup self-raising flour
80 gram butter (preferably frozen ones. just pop into the freezer for at least 30 minutes to chill it)
1 cup cold milk
1 – 2 tablespoon caster sugar *
handful of sultanas (or any chopped fruits of your choice. you can also skip this and eat scones with jam. Please dont mix the jam into the batter but smear it on after the scones are done in the oven)
large mixing bowl
muffin tray (in dozen. you can choose not to use but when it comes to dividing the batter out it will be messier, plus your scones might come out a little flatter)
- Preheat your oven to 190 degree. Grease your muffin tray if you are using one.
- Sieve flour into large mixing bowl. Mix in caster sugar well.
- Take the butter out from the freezer and using a shredder/grater and grate the butter into the flour, making sure the butter is coated with flour so that they do not stick into one large lump. If you do not have a grater/shredder you can use your fingers to work the butter into the flour but it will take longer.
- Mix in fruits if you are using any. I mix in my sultanas at this step.
- Once the butter is mixed in, create a small well in the flour and pour the milk in, then slowly move the mixture inwards, towards the well. DO NOT OVERMIX (overmix will make your scones tough), just make sure that most of the batter is damp.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tray and pop it in the oven, bake for 12-15 minutes or until the top turns brown.
- Remove scones from tray and serve warm with jam and cream.