See our step-by-step guide to classic popovers making 6 portions for a weekend breakfast or brunch at home. Try the different variations Sweet Cocoa, Bacon Cheese and Savory Spiced.
6 servings | about 205 calories.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon butter, melted plus more for greasing
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Grease cups of popover pan or eight 6 – 8 oz ramekins.
- Pour puree egg, milk, flour butter and salt into blender. Blend until smooth.
- Divide evenly among cups. Bake 40 minutes.
- With small paring knife, cut small slit in top of each popover. Bake 10 minutes more. Remove from oven; immediately transfer from cups to rack. Serve warm. Cooled popovers can be kept at room temperature up to 3 hours or frozen up to 1 month. Reheat at 350˚F until crisp.
- Reduce flour to 3/4 c. Blend 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa and 3 tbsp sugar into batter
- Reduce salt to 1/4 tsp. Blend 4 strips chopped cooked bacon, 1/2c. shredded sharp cheddar and 1/4 finely grated parmesan cheese into batter.
- Blend 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp smoked paprika and 1/4 tsp black pepper into batter.
Beat 3/4 c (1 1/2 sticks) softened butter with choice of:
- Sweet Cinnamon: 1/4c. dark brown sugar + 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Lemon Chive: 1 tbsp snipped frsh chives + 1tsp grated lemon zest + 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Rosemary-Garlic: 2 cloves garlic, crushed with press + 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped all cooked in 1 tbsp love oil until garlic is golden