PERFECT FOR THIS CHINESE NEW YEAR – HOMEMADE SCS PINEAPPLE TARTS
Any time of year is a good time when it comes to thinking of baking and eating Pineapple Tarts, but with Chinese New Year just around the corner NOW is the perfect time to impress your loved ones with some homemade SCS Pineapple Tarts….read on for yumminess!
SCS Pineapple Tarts
INGREDIENTS (makes about 80 tarts)
For the Pineapple Jam
- 2 Fresh Pineapples (about 1kg each)
- 100g Fine Grain White Sugar
- Peel, chop and blend the pineapple. Add a little water into the blender (as required).
- Place in this into a large heavy base pot and bring to the boil on a low heat. Stir occasionally to ensure that it is not burning on the bottom. Cook for about 3 hours until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the sugar and continue to cook until the jam thickens (stir every 2 – 3 minutes).
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking time, add any additional spices or seasoning (maybe something from Grandma’s traditional recipe?) and cook.
- Now the mixture will be very thick, leave to cool.
For the Crust
- 1 block of SCS Unsalted Butter (250g)
- 400g Plain flour
- 40g Icing Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks (large A size)
- ½ tsp Salt
- Sift flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add into the mixing bowl. Rub the utter into the flour with your fingertips until it has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs. Take care not to overwork the mixture.
- Add the egg yolks and knead until the dough is formed.
- Wrap the dough with cling wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Constructing your SCS Pineapple Tarts
- Roll the pineapple jam into balls (apprx 12g per ball) or place in a piping bag.
- Dust work surface with flour. Flatten the dough to the thickness of half a cm with a rolling pin.
- Cut into cookies with a cookie cutter. Brush the pastry with egg wash if desired (this will give a nice golden colour).
- Assemble the tarts – put the pineapple jam ball onto the cookie dough and then place the tart on a buttered or lined baking tin. Repeat until all tarts are made.
- Bake at 170 C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Finally, share with your loved ones as you celebrate this Chinese New Year.
SCS butter is made from 100% Australian grass-fed cows’ milk, contains NO artificial colourings, NO additives, NO preservatives and NO hormones. SCS butter goes through a double churn process, this gives its; rich & creamy taste, smooth texture and irresistible aroma.